According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, about 8,000 people a
year receive venomous bites in the United States, and only 9 to 15 victims die.
In fact more people die from wasp and bee stings than from snake bites.
The only poisonous snake found in Idaho is the Rattlesnake. Rattlesnakes bite
their victims with fangs that are hinged to swing downward from the snake's
upper jaw. Venom is injected into the victim through grooves along the fangs.
The amount and toxicity of venom determine the danger to the victim. A baby
rattlesnake can be more lethal than a grown snake. While the adult may preserve
its venom when it strikes, a baby rattlesnake tends to unleash all of its venom
because it is inexperienced.
The Western Rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis) Makes its home in Idaho at elevations up to 11,000 feet. It is dark, sometimes
almost black in color, with dark oval
patterns on its back and a lighter underside, and has a banded tail. It can reach lengths of 5 feet or
more, and is most active during the day.
Know how to identify. All snakes with pointed tails in
Idaho are non-venomous. Even newborn Rattlesnakes have a rattle segment called a "button" at the end of their tails, and adults may have several rattles. Rattlesnakes
have flat, broad, triangular shaped heads. The pupils of a Rattlesnakes eyes are cat-like or elliptical, where non-venomous snakes have round pupils.
Watch where you place your hands and feet. Most snakes are inactive and hide for protection.
Rattlesnake in its natural habitat is almost impossible to see, so don't put your hands or feet in or on places where you
can't see. Rattlesnakes do not rattle unless frightened or endangered and may not rattle at all.
Don't step over logs or rocks. Walk around obstacles instead. Be careful
when turning over logs, rocks, or other objects, as snakes may be under them.
Watch where you step, stay on paths, avoid tall grass or heavy underbrush. Look closely at
ground level before crossing fences.
Keep a body length away from any snake. Although Rattlesnakes
will normally strike only half of their body length, they can strike farther. Most
Rattlesnakes are not aggressive, however you may be in their escape route.
Wear loose fitting clothing & boots. Boots provide protection for the feet and ankles. Rattlesnake fangs can penetrate clothing,
wear loose clothing rather than tight.
Snakebite First Aid
Not all Rattlesnake bites result in the injection of venom. However,
the Rattlesnake's mouth is very unsanitary, and infection is always a concern.
All Rattlesnake bites are dangerous, and the victim
should seek immediate medical attention. The severity of the danger depends on the age, size, and health of the victim, how allergic they are to the venom,
area of the bite (near vital organs are most dangerous), amount of venom
first aid given. A person will normally know within the first thirty minutes how serious a bite is.
DO calm the victim, treat for shock, keep the
bite area immobilized and lower than the heart.
DO remove jewelry, and anything else that might
restrict circulation if swelling occurs. Wash the wound, and monitor swelling.
DO get the victim medical attention
as soon as possible, carry them, or if the victim is stable, by walking very slowly.
DO apply mechanical suction with a reverse syringe
immediately if possible, continue until able to get medical attention.
DO NOT cut the wound, such measures
have not been proven useful and may cause further injury.
DO NOT suck out the venom with your mouth.
DO NOT give painkillers, such as aspirin, Tylenol or Advil.
DO NOT apply ice, or immerse the wound in cold water.
DO NOT apply a tourniquet, this cuts
blood flow completely and may result in loss of the affected limb.
DO NOT apply electrical
shock, this method is under study and has yet to be proven effective.
DO NOT let the victim drink alcohol.
Seek Emergency Medical Care!
Idaho Geocachers © 2002